Monday, July 22, 2024

Florida Trip: Day 11 - Hollywood Studios

Day 11

This would be our last day at Disney and M1 wanted to end with Hollywood Studios because that’s where the Star Wars Galaxy Edge was and other rides that were supposed to be more for “older kids”.  But in some ways it didn’t meet expectations.

First, this felt like the hottest of the three days.  Although, the temperature was 34 degrees vs. 40 degrees at Epcot, there were less places to rest indoors.  We were in the heat longer and so it felt hotter – personally I thought we were in an oven.

Second, the lines were longer.  Longer wait times meant more time outdoors, which also contributed to feeling hotter.  Of the three parks, this was the one where we went to the least attractions/rides because of the lineups.

The day started off great with the Aerosmith roller coaster ride.  This was a really fast ride and likely ended up being ranked #2 in terms of all rides we went on, just behind Guardians of the Galaxy.  The day got even better when we got the chance to meet and take a picture with Darth Vader.  M1 opted out because she was terrified of him, claiming he brought back childhood nightmares of how he was living in her bedroom closet.  Perhaps I introduced her to Star Wars too early?  I asked if I could have a picture of Darth Vader choking me but the lady in charge said no because they are running a “peaceful operation”.  So I suggested just force choking and Vader was about to agree but the lady in charge still said no and promptly dismissed us.

We went to the Star Wars cantina for a drink but it didn’t look like the one in Episode IV.  Maybe it was something out of Episode VII – IX.  Most of the props, locations, and rides had Episodes VII – IX as the theme.  (This was unfortunate and I would blog about that but I can’t because in my mind those episodes don’t exist.)  For example, the most popular ride was the Rise of the Resistance but we thought it didn’t live up to the hype and the Avatar ride in Animal Kingdom was better.  I took a lot of pictures and a video as we walked through the Millennium Falcon.  The ride itself wasn’t that great and M1 and M2 blamed it on the fact that M3 and I were the pilots and we didn’t know how to maneuver. 

Since this was our last day, we thought we should get souvenirs for ourselves.  M1 had purchased a Monsters University hat and I got a t-shirt at Epcot but M2 and M3 did not get anything yet.  So M2 got a Baby Groot that sat on her shoulder and M3 got a deck of Disney Uno cards – Uno is one of her favourite card games.  I went all out and got a set of Jedi robes at $200!

This Star Wars experience was significant because the girls (especially M1, who kept asking me what I wanted to do and see and experience) really wanted me to have a good time and not the other way around with most parents and kids at Disney.  My girls are growing up.

Big Oh



No comments:

Post a Comment