Friday, July 5, 2024

Graduation #5

The last Thursday in June was M3's grade 8 graduation - one day after M2's high school graduation.  Both took place in the same high school.  M3's elementary school is too small to hold the ceremony so they have it at the high school just down the street.  There are less grade 8 graduates than high school graduates so this time the ceremony could take place in a nicer auditorium with a real stage.

There's no graduation gown for grade 8 so M3 had to buy a graduation dress.  We did this a month before and it was a real adventure, but I won't get into that because it's a bit embarrassing for me.  She also got her nails done - it's a big deal for young teenagers!  Luckily for me, I didn't have to do that for her nor did I have to help her get ready.  Why?  Because M3 is becoming a party girl.  I didn't see her for the better part of 2 days around her graduation!

Wednesday after school she and 3 friends had a sleepover at one of her friend's house down the street, to celebrate their graduation.  So they got ready there and helped each other with their hair and nails.  However, the dress was hard to zip (not a size issue, just difficult to work the zipper) and M2 had to walk over to help her.  They had so much fun, M3 asked to stay over again the Thursday night after the ceremony.  I said it was fine since the girls were so excited.  Besides, it's just down the street, so M3 did come home each day to shower.

A few weeks ago, M3 misinterpreted a homework assignment and got 50% on it.  She was very upset so I asked her to ask the teacher if she could get a second chance.  Explain what you thought and explain that you do know the correct answers.  M3 was upset because she said she wanted to graduate with honours and if she messed this up she wouldn't.  I still think she would (most of her marks are in the 80s and she only has one 70) but I was very happy that she showed this kind of concern for her work.  In the end, the teacher was nice and did increase her mark.

When M3 walked across the stage they announced that she made the honour roll!  Also, she won the Lifelong Learner Award.  I felt this was a funny name - implying that the person still has a lot to learn.  But it was explained to me that the person always has a thirst for learning.  M3, Mommy and Daddy are very proud of you!

Big Oh

No comments:

Post a Comment