Sunday, July 14, 2024

Florida Trip: Day 3 - Solo Dances

Day 3

On this day, M2 had a solo at 11:00 AM, another solo at 9:30 PM, and that was it - it was solo day at the competition.  Again I took her early in the morning and came back to get the others.  But this time there was a little problem.  The lock for the house was a digital lock with a code and the batteries died.  Luckily I brought some spare batteries for the Wii controllers but it still took some time to put them in.  So I didn't bring the Wii controllers for nothing!

We made it back in time for M2's solo then we had practically a whole day of spare time before the next solo.  Auntie Sally wanted to watch some of M2's teammates' solos so she stayed there with Uncle Kaka until mid-afternoon.  M3 and I went to have a nice lunch at a place called, "Bahama Breeze".  It's a chain restaurant, kind of like Red Lobster.  We had seafood chowder, coconut shrimp, a salad, and a pasta dish.  The portions were so big, we practically had to take all the pasta home.

After lunch, M3 and I went to a souvenir shop to get some A/C while we waited for Uncle Kaka and Auntie Sally to finish watching dances.  We did buy some souvenirs for the grandparents then picked up Uncle Kaka and Auntie Sally and went home.  They then went to Walmart while M3 and I napped again.  This Florida heat really tires you out!  After a brief nap, we went for a swim before dinner.

After dinner, we went back to watch M2's second solo.  The venue has no in-and-out parking privileges so I would have to pay for parking again.  There is a special price for the competition of $20 vs. regular price of $38.

M2 won her category just as she did in the morning.  She did an Acro solo and an Open solo.  "Open" is kind of like freestyle and M2's Open solo has many Acro elements.  Recall I had a blog last year where I said M2 would not win an overall award if she did a solo in a genre other than Acro?  Well this year it was her Open solo that won the second overall prize - out of 214 solo dances!  This was for the age group 15-17.  The winner was 15 and although I didn't see her dance live, I did watch the video replay.  As a biased Dance Dad, I think M2 should have won.  (Her Acro solo was 8th.)

In all this excitement, I forgot to get my parking ticket validated for the special competition price and the booth was now closed.  So I thought I would have to pay $38 instead of $20.  But when we got to the gate there was no attendant there.  Perhaps he was on break or it was too late at night.  The barricade was lifted and I was driving slowly, afraid it would come down.  But Uncle Kaka shouted, "Just go!"  I like getting unexpected discounts like this, but they really make Uncle Kaka and Auntie Sally happy!

Big Oh



No comments:

Post a Comment