Sunday, February 15, 2015

Restaurant Review - Mildred's Temple Kitchen

Today the Big Oh and I were running an errand without the kids so we decided to treat ourselves to a belated Valentine's Day date.  I wanted to go somewhere we normally wouldn't go with the kids; somewhere trendy, a place that would make "Top 10" lists in & around town.  Somewhere that didn't have a kids menu!  So after a recommendation from a friend we decided on Mildred's Temple Kitchen in Liberty Village.

We were spot on when it came to the type of resto we wanted to try.  First sign - the over hour wait for a table during their Sunday brunch even in -25 degree weather!  Minimalistic decor in whites & beige in a hip & happening neighbourhood.  No signs of strollers or children.  In fact, I swear that the Big Oh & I were two of the oldest patrons there (and we are not old).

Big Oh ordered the MTK Burger ($18) and I ordered Veda's Choice ($14.50).  The burger, although more the size of a slider, was presented as expected - big plate, fancy (but minimal) garnish with a side of hand cut 'frites', and an amazing garlic aioli to dip.  Veda's Choice was two poached eggs sandwiched in a croissant with smoked salmon in Bearnaise sauce accompanied with mixed greens.  The server was pleasant & attentive on this very busy Sunday morning.

Even though the meal was very good (I have no doubt that everything we ate was made & baked on-site) I just can't see myself returning.  And I'm not entirely sure why!  Is it because I'm too 'suburban' for these trendy downtown spots?  Is it because I'm too 'cheap/unrefined' to appreciate quality and the prices that go with it?  I don't think so....but I will say I'm not too sure what the 'hype' is.  I can certainly make a similar brunch at home.  And quite honestly, my local chain-type brunch restaurant serves up poached eggs, pancakes, & sandwiches that are not too bad either at half the price.   So for a special occasion, sure we'll go out of our comfort zone and try something new; but really, we are comfortable just the way we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment