Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Basketball

It's past 3:00 am and I can't sleep.  I have a lot on my mind.  I have medication to help me sleep but lately that hasn't been working - nothing seems to be working.   I'm trying to find some distraction yet keep focused...

* * * * *

Today was M1's last basketball tournament.   This marked the end of her first basketball season on her school's team - the very first one she's ever tried out for.  Although she lost more games than she won and her basketball "skills" need a lot of work, I know she loved the experience and is looking forward to doing it again next year & is even talking about trying out for other school teams.

There are so many things I see my daughter has taken out of this experience: the camaraderie with her team mates, the sense of school pride, losing with grace, and a strong, athletic body.  She is also setting a great example for her younger sisters.   I'm so glad I went to watch some of her games and I know she was happy to see me (even at the ugly losses - and I'm talking about 47-4 ugly).  Because in the big picture of things, there's only a small window of time, or a handful of opportunities, when your children will truly NEED you,  when your presence is a source of encouragement and not embarrassment, and when you will matter the MOST.

This is what I am focusing on now.
Y.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment