Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happiness - A Consequence Of Personal Effort

I have been writing a lot lately.  I write on this blog when I feel like sharing.  There are also writings I keep personal when I don't want to share (yet).  This year I started 3 journals - one for each of my daughters.  I usually write about things we've done, how I felt, what I observed about them.  Sometimes there will be a life lesson on family, friendship, or themself.  In reading these entries I've realized that sometimes crisis can turn out to be trivial & humorous in the end.  Other times, what I originally wrote to be small & insignificant can have a profound meaning a few months later.  I hope my daughter's see this & understand this.  I don't know when I will give these journals to them.  I have a feeling I will know when the time is right.

I read this on the internet today:

"When I say that happiness is a consequence of personal effort, this is kind of thing I'm talking about. I'm talking about showing up, paying attention to the instances of good fortune in your life, putting a spotlight on the small good things, and creating a body of evidence that you are (on ALL days) brushing up against grace.

Look for it, and you'll find it. "


This reminded me of something my friend L.W. gave me a couple of years ago.  It was a box that was filled with pretty pieces of paper. On each one she hand wrote something to 'cheer me up'.  I read through all of them at least once - I think it's time to re-read them.  Or better yet, create my own notes - I will write down something good, happy, fortunate that happened that day.  It can be as trivial as getting a great parking spot in a crowded mall, trying a new restaurant, or spending some quality time with friends or family.  I will start with this one:

Sleeping in on a Saturday morning.  To be awaken by M2 & M3 coming into our bed for some snuggling time.

Wishing all our family & friends a happy healthy 2016 !

YC

No comments:

Post a Comment