Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Thank You Teacher

Yesterday I was at my daughter's school around 9:30 to drop off something the little one forgot at home.  I was in the office waiting for her to be called down when I saw my oldest daughter's teacher come into the office to do some photocopying.  Now, I know how much teachers hate to be ambushed by parents - but I did it anyways.  I said, "Excuse me Ms. K, I am M1's mom and I just want one minute to ... (and I could almost see her 'Really? Now?' look forming on her face) ...let you know what a great year M1 had in grade 6.  And to thank you for being an amazing teacher."

I told her that when my girls leave for school I make sure they leave happy to start their day & I only want them to return happy with stories to tell me.  M1 has come home with many stories of her class, friends, and teacher.  I told her how much I appreciate her teaching M1 not only what was in the curriculum, but also about being respectful, being age appropriate, talking about friendships/relationships, and just going beyond what is required in the textbooks.  Even when M1 comes home & has had "The worst day ever!" she always has something to tell me that makes us laugh or smile.  Ms. K literally took my hand and thanked me.  She told me she was having a difficult year personally and hearing that meant so much to her.  She said I was going to make her cry - I could see her tearing up & I warned her not to, otherwise I would be bawling too!

It made me think that if I didn't run into her yesterday would I have taken the time to leave her a message or write her a note?  Would it have had the same effect? Maybe, maybe not.  I'm just glad I did say something to her.  People generally rant above negative experiences way more than great ones.  Everyone knows what an amazing feeling it is to receive a compliment, positive feedback, or just a pat on the back.  But you know what?  It feels pretty good to be the one giving out the compliment too.

Y.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment