Sunday, April 11, 2021

First Ever April Break: Day 1

Whenever we went on vacations, even mini ones like to Niagara Falls or downtown Toronto, YC liked to blog about what we did each day.  We obviously can't go on any vacations under the current Stay At Home orders (lockdown, shutdown - whatever you want to call it).  But the pandemic has given us our first ever April Break, so I'm going to try and blog about our daily events.  I did not take the week off work as I am in the middle of quarter end reporting but I might try to take some afternoons off.  I might not blog every day, maybe I'll combine a few days into one blog.

When is the official start of April Break?  It's probably Monday the 12th, but for the purposes of this blog, I'm going to say today is day 1.  Today was a nice, relaxing day - something I haven't had in a long time.  Why?  Because I have been extremely busy at work since January (maybe even December but the Christmas break helped).  Also because I feel I have so many things to do.  My brother Pepe keeps telling me to enjoy the moment, enjoy the journey.  Don't view my life as a series of goals that I need to accomplish.  Today was a bit of both.  I enjoyed the moments and I also felt I got some things done.  So here's what we did.

9:00 AM - Had breakfast with M2 and M3. - Enjoyed the moment.

10:00 - Took M2 to a chiropodist appointment.  She has a flat arch and is going to get orthotics.  We talked about insurance fraud. - Got stuff done and enjoyed the journey.

11:00 - Came home and saw that M1 was helping my mom cook lunch (simple stuff - pot stickers and leftover pizza from yesterday's takeout).  I was happy that M1 is growing up and taking care of the family.  She knew that M2 had a virtual dance class at 12:15 and needed to eat lunch early. - Enjoyed the moment.

11:30 - I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and took advantage of the promotion to get $65 for redeeming $50 worth of points.  Do you know how hard it is to spend $65 at Shoppers without buying cosmetics?  So I ended up buying some face cream to bring my total to $67. - Got stuff done and enjoyed getting a discount.

2:00 PM - After lunch I vacuumed my room and the hallway. - Got stuff done.

3:00 - M1 cut my mom's hair and mine.  Her salon skills have improved a lot during the pandemic.  A year ago when she cut my hair for the first time, it was so bad that M2 cried. - Got stuff done.

4:00 -  M3 is taking an interest in painting and her work looks better than mine, although that's not saying much.  M1 found some on-line classes for her and we browsed through them.  We didn't sign up yet but we will. - Enjoyed the journey.

4:30 - Answered some work emails and pulled out some weeds in the garden.  Even though it was only about 15 minutes for each task, I felt I accomplished something for work and made some progress in the garden.  I know I need to stop doing this or feeling stressed if I don't do things like this.  But nevertheless, I got stuff done in this half hour while waiting for the girls to get ready for biking.

5:00 - Went for nice bike ride my my girls. - Enjoyed the journey.

6:00 - Played basketball with M2 and M3 while M1 went to help my mom peel some potatoes for dinner. - Enjoyed the moment.

7:00 - My mom and Pepe prepared my favourite Burmese dish for dinner. - Enjoyed the moment.

8:00 - Watched the hockey game with my daughters.  The Leafs won. Auston Matthews got a hat trick and Jack Campbell set an NHL record for most consecutive wins from the start of the season (11) - Enjoyed the moment.

10:00 - Watched the latest episode of the Mighty Ducks TV series with my daughters. - Enjoyed the moment.

I hope there will be more "enjoy the journey/moment" moments and less fretting over "getting stuff done".

Big Oh

No comments:

Post a Comment