Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Board Games

My two nephews are at my place for babysitting this summer.  So along with my three kids that makes five of them  - my very own summer camp.  It's actually not too bad, they are close enough in ages that they will play with each other.  Of course they enjoy their time on their own electronic devices but I have also noticed them playing games!  Yes, good old fashioned board games!  This summer my kids are playing Clue, Monopoly, Chess, Checkers, and Password. They are also learning to play Mahjong. And you know what?  They love it.  Sometimes they actually PREFER playing these games over their electronic games.  I prefer them playing these games.  I like to see them interacting with one another.  I love seeing them talking & laughing with one another.  I even like it when they start arguing over the game, and I don't mind one bit when it ends with someone in tears because someone "cheated" or wasn't being "fair".  Because the alternative might just be every kids glued to their own laptop, iPad, or television for hours each day.

Of course there are merits to all these electronic devices.  And I agree there are plenty of educational apps and games out there to stimulate our children which my kids play with too.  But I am happy that my children also find enjoyment in a simple game of Checkers with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment