Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Beautiful Game


So I’ve been watching some of the FIFA World Cup and there seems to be a lot more scoring this year than in tournaments past.  This is good for me because I grew up watching North American sports and over here, scoring is entertaining.  It's important and it's what sport is all about. Passing a ball back and forth, then kicking it out of bounds is not entertaining.
I’m enjoying the World Cup because I’m liking how it’s bringing people together.  It brings together communities like Little Italy, the Danforth, Korea-Town etc.  It brings together people at work when they participate in pools.  It brings together friends and family who gather to watch the matches.  It lets us forget the troubles in our lives.  One day, let’s hope the most watched sport in the world can bring together nations to forget their hostilities towards each other.  (But we might still have to deal with the occasional soccer riot.)
The game itself is called “The Beautiful Game”.  And now I know why.  When a goal is scored, the play that generates the goal is usually a pretty passing play.  A header to cap off the play just makes it that much more beautiful.  The celebrations are also quite the spectacle.  I predict the last team celebrating will be Argentina.

Big Oh

No comments:

Post a Comment