Saturday, September 3, 2016

Documentaries - Part 1

We got Netflix recently.  I love being able to watch programs on my own time, at my own pace.  I guess with cable TV and PVR boxes you can argue that you can do that anyways but I hate our two local cable companies and I'm slowly changing our services to only the most basic so I can get local news and some live sporting and live special programs (re: Academy Awards, Grammys, etc...).  I hate how they basically have an oligopoly on the industry, over-charging for their services while providing crappy service.  But that's another rant for another post.

So what have I been watching?  Well, M1 & I binged watched 8 episodes of 'Stranger Things' and now I'm stuck wondering when Season 2 will begin.  And I love documentaries.  I love real people stories - their trials & tribulations.  I love being transported out of my world and time and into somewhere I would never be able to go to.  I also love food and I love learning about our Earth and the amazing things it can do for us if we treat it well.  I love sad stories just as much as I love happy ones, and I love serious thought provoking stories just as much as "fluff" about movie stars & musician - if nothing else,  just to remind me of what a beautiful life I have and how grateful I am to be here.  Documentaries can be all this and more.   Here are the ones I've watched so far with a little blurb and personal rating of each.

🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟  Loved it!  Definitely a must watch for anyone - I'd watch it again.
🌟 🌟 🌟  Really liked it & would recommend.
🌟 🌟  It was OK - but may not recommend unless you are interested in the subject matter.
🌟  I liked it enough to finish the documentary but probably wouldn't recommend it

Back In Time (2015) - A look back at THE BEST TIME TRAVEL MOVIE OF ALL TIME!  This is full of present day interviews of the stars and makers of Back To The Future & it's sequels.  A must watch for any Back To The Future fan.   🌟 🌟 🌟 

Kid Poker (2014) - Toronto native Daniel Negreanu's account of his rise in ranks in the world of professional poker playing.  Love how he seems like a just an average Joe kind of guy playing in poker games for millions of dollars.  🌟 🌟

Welcome To Lieth (2015) - How some citizens of a small town U.S.A. fought back against a white supremacist who was intent on moving into their town and possibly setting up a faction of a white supremacist group in the area.  🌟 🌟 🌟

Queen Of Versailles (2012) - This documentary looks and feels like reality TV.  A look inside the over-indulgent lifestyle of a time-share mogul and his wife and family filmed during the course of
2 years - right in the middle of the 2008 financial crisis.   Interesting look at how the rich and famous "cope" when they have to downsize  their extravagant lifestyle.  🌟 🌟

Trophy Kids (2013) - A documentary that follows families that push their children to become "prodigies" in their chosen sport.  The parents come across as overbearing, intense, win-at-all-costs, while the children seem stressed and unhappy.  🌟 🌟 🌟

I didn't really give any of these documentaries a bad rating - even the one star can't be considered a "bad" rating.  I have started watching some documentaries only to stop without finishing - I guess those would be the ones that I would give 0 stars to but I'm not going to list those.  There are a few more that I have watched.  I will continue this list with a Part 2...

Are there any documentaries that you would recommend?  Feel free to comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment