Friday, September 2, 2016

Goodbye Summer

This is the last weekend before school starts.  The kids have new school supplies & their school bags are packed.  They are excitedly looking forward to next week.  Today my two older girls are with their cousins on one last summer outing and my little one is quietly playing on her own.  This is bliss.

I am thinking how quickly this summer has gone by and taking inventory on what we did.  There was two weeks of summer camp.  A week of dance camp.  Two weeks of volunteer work for the older girls and a family trip to Ottawa at the beginning of the summer. 

There were a few weekends with cousins.  Some birthday parties thrown in.  The Big Oh went to Wonderland a few times (gotta make use of those season's passes) with the girls.  We had some quality time with friends & family.  We watched a couple of movies, went to the theatre, and tried some new restaurants. 

We lazied around at home, completed a 3D puzzle, learned some new games & played some old one.  Went to the library and read some good books, went swimming at grandma's and at friends' places.  We watched a lot of Netflix - the kids loved "Full House" and "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" and I was hooked on to "Stranger Things" and documentaries.  We slept late and slept in.

And between these activities with the kids I had weekly appointments to organize and keep - taking care of my health has become my "part-time job".  But I am grateful to still be here and able to do all these things and more.

Just because you don't (or can't) go on a fancy vacation, summers don't need to be "boring".  I hope my kids didn't think their summer was boring.  Simplicity is very much underrated.  Sometimes that's just what your body & mind needs - to slow down & enjoy life's simplest moments.

Y.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment