Wednesday, July 20, 2016

No More Playtime Today

Is it so bad to not want to play with your children?

Most days I just want to sit and read and write.  But my 5 year old has other ideas.

It is almost half-way thru the summer and my children have only had 5 days of 1/2 day camp so far - and that's all I planned for the month of July.  I thought I could handle it.  One month.  Only a month of all 3 kids at home, should be easy, right?

Today I already made a board game with my 5 year old.  She said she would like to save it to play with her dad tonight (I swear I didn't convince her on that one).  But she is already getting restless and it isn't even 5:00pm yet.  Still another couple of hours before daddy gets home.

I've set a time limit or an activity limit on my 5 year old.  There's only so much reading, colouring, playing house, or dolls, or board games, I can do in a day.  One activity before lunch and one in the evening before bed.  Afternoons are MY time.

There are times I feel guilty about the lack of attention I give my children - particularly the youngest one.  But really, how many parents out there can be 100% there 100% of the time?  How many can be honest and say "That's enough - I can't do anymore."?  I look at my child now as I am typing away.  She is playing on her own.  Talking to herself and her toys.  She is fine.

Y.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment