Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Device Free Week

I really wanted to set an example...I really did.  But just as I said "Device Free Week" I reached for my cell phone and wanted to put it in my calendar.  I admit - I can't do it.  So how can I set an example to my daughters and ask them to do something that I can't.

I realize that these electronic devices has become a part of our lives just like our cars, internet, and email - for some even as indispensable as electricity and running water.  So for my girls they are going device free (iPods and iPads and computers) for 5 days with an exception of 45 minutes every evening between 9:00 - 9:45 pm.  Day 1 and Day 2 - successfully completed.

As for myself?  Well, I already did some banking online today.  I check my calendar on my phone multiple times a day to make sure I haven't forgotten an appointment.  My family and friends automatically reach for the WHATSAPP or text message when we need to contact each other and now I'm on my laptop typing this post.  So no, I won't be going "Device Free" anytime soon.

So what are my girls doing during the last few lazy days of summer?  We've gone out to lunch with family, baked, we are working on a 3D puzzle, reading, watched some new shows together on Netflix, and playing a lot of mah-jong. 

Y.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment