Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Restaurant Review - Honey B Hive

My choice in restaurants and food cannot be considered "refined", "fine-dining", "high-end" - whatever name you want to put on it.  I don't mind eating in dives and diners - but I do like a DECENT meal.  And I'm all for a VALUE meal.  Value to me equals food quality and service appropriate to the price I paid for it.  This doesn't mean the prices need to be cheap - I am happy to pay more for a good meal and dining experience.  But these points are all relative isn't it?  

Anyways, my brother J recommended a nearby restaurant called Honey B Hive.  Reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp were mixed.  Some raved about the great value and others (more discerning customers I suppose) had issues with the quality of food. It's basically an all day breakfast joint that also serves a mish-mash of diner food - think sandwiches, pastas, salads, they even had souvlaki and "AAA" sirloin steaks on their menu.  So our family of 7 gave it a try.  But alas, other than their $4.99 Breakfast Special everything was disappointing and lacking. 

We ordered Chicken Souvlaki on a Pita - pieces of frozen chicken breast with tzatziki and some lettuce is NOT souvlaki.  My daughter ordered pancakes which she ate 1 of (comes with 4).  She said it didn't taste good.  Of course it doesn't taste good when you are use to mommy & daddy's pancakes made fresh from scratch with real eggs and milk and vanilla instead of the one which we were served which I am certain came from a BOX (not even sure if eggs or milk were added - possibly only water)!  The Grilled Cheese Sandwiches were made with cheese spread and The Big Oh's French Toast was 4 HALF SLICES of wimpy looking bread. 

The menu had a build your own pasta section and some sandwiches and salad.  Do I need to tell you I won't be back to try it?  I mentioned earlier the one redemption was the Breakfast Special for $4.99 which is served all day.  Two eggs, sausages (or bacon/ham/peameal) toast and homefries (frozen) was a good value - but then again, who can screw up on eggs?

Make an effort to serve good food.  I'm not even talking about gourmet - just good, wholesome food.  Go ahead and charge a buck or two more.  It'll be worth it - customers will come back.  If you can't do it because it takes too much time or cost too much, then don't do it.  Slim down your menu and serve just your best.  Like I said at the beginning, we are not picky, selective, eaters.  We just want to eat food that doesn't taste like cardboard! 

And H.H., please hurry up and open your restaurant and put these local places to shame!

Y.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment