Friday, August 5, 2016

Making Friends - Part 2

Yesterday I wrote about how M3 hasn't made any friends in summer camp.  I KNOW it has only been 2 days but to a 5 year old it seems like an eternity!  Anyways, I am concerned that she will have difficulty making friends in grade 1 and I remembered how M2 had a similar problem.  I just hope I have the same patience I had with M2 - That I will remember to gently encourage her to take an initiative with other children, keep reminding her to be kind and friendly, and let her take her time. 

Then I thought about M1 & I  realized she never had this problem.  Not because she is particularly outgoing or friendly.  The word I use to describe all 3 of my children are "reserved".  They watch, listen and tread slowly and carefully in any unfamiliar situations.  But M1 was very lucky.  She met a boy in Junior Kindergarten - on the first day of school.  And they've been best friends since.
Yes, I know friendships come and go.  I've lost few friends over the years myself.  But I also have friendships that have lasted 20-30+ years which are still going strong today.  It truly is a blessing to have people in your life that have shared past happiness & achievements, and even sadness & loss.

I hope my daughters will be lucky enough to have friendships that will last a lifetime.
Y.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment